How to Build a Gaming Group
Inspiration
I was inspired to start a campaign after reading the book "Empire of Imagination," by Michael Witwer. It made me feel nostalgic for my old gaming sessions growing up in the seventies and eighties. Those were great evenings spent with a large collection of friends in the Yocom basement. I felt like my life lacked the creativity that I had as a youth and I was eager to recapture some of that.The Challenges
My desire was to run a game with some of my old friends from my youth. Luckily I have stayed in touch with a good number of them, some more loosely than others. My first concern was that I was not sure how many of them would be interested in playing again and willing to put the time into it. Next, there was the issue of logistics. I currently live in the Bay Area, whereas the majority of my old gaming buddies still live in the Salt Lake City area. The final concern was what version of Dungeons & Dragons were we going to play. It had been 8+ years since the last time many of the prospective group members had played any form of D&D.
Virtual Tabletop
The first dilemma that needed solving was the logistics. No matter how much any of us wanted to play, if there wasn't a good solution to the proximity problem, then the whole thing was a no go. Luckily, a cool virtual tabletop gaming application had become mature while I was away from gaming: Fantasy Grounds by SmiteWorks USA, LLC. I had recalled seeing it when browsing around the steam library sometime in the past and so I went to investigate it. After watching a couple demo videos, reading user feedback and perusing what was available, I was impressed enough to think that this was the solution for us.
Dungeon & Dragons 5th Edition
Having played every prior version, I decided to spend a bit of time looking into the latest edition of Dungeons & Dragons. I wanted to see if it was a good choice or if we should go back to a previous edition. I felt after reading through the rules and getting feedback from people who had been using the 5e system that it was the right choice for our group. I felt like WOTC had done a good job of learning from the mistakes in prior versions and conceptualized a simpler, more elegant system that has the best class balance of D&D editions; while keeping each class compelling and unique. Is it a perfect system, no, but I think it's the best so far.
First Contact
I first broached the idea with my friend Callin. He was still in SLC and stayed in touch with a lot of the guys better than I did, plus I just wanted a quick early opinion. So I sent Callin a text, simply asking if he would be interested in trying to get a D&D gaming group back together and play it using Fantasy Grounds. I was excited when he responded so positively. We started frequent discussions of who we wanted in the group followed up by contacting the prospects to gauge their interest. The goal was to have a group of 5-7 people.
Conclusion
We had our share of prospective group members turn us down for various reasons, but still ended up with a great group of guys. I am thankful for each of them agreeing to participate and look forward to a fun a rewarding foray back into Dungeons & Dragons. Thanks Callin, Michael, Courtney, Grayson and Eugene!
Comments
Post a Comment