Chapter 3 - Session 1A: The Death Curse

Session date: December 27, 2017

The News Around Town

The adventurers didn't get to celebrate their victory in liberating Julkoun from the goblinoids long, as news started circulating around Daggerford about a new and bigger menace threatening the realms.

"For the past several days, the talk of the streets and taverns has all been about the so-called death curse: a wasting disease afflicting everyone who’s ever been raised from the dead. Victims grow thinner and weaker each day, slowly but steadily sliding toward the death they once denied. When they finally succumb, they can’t be raised — and neither can anyone else, regardless of whether they’ve ever received that miracle in the past. Temples and scholars of divine magic are at a loss to explain a curse that has affected the entire region, and possibly the entire world."

A courier arrived later in the day with an invitation for dinner with Sir Isteval and a special guest that anted to meet him in him manor in Daggerford. Knowing the excellent hospitality that Isteval has shown them in the past, the party quickly agreed to attend.

A Glass of Wine and a Plan

The party was greeted by the familiar visage of Giles as he answered their knock at the door of Sir Isteval's manor. "Pleased to see you again, it is unfortunate it isn't under better circumstances", said Giles as he led them into the comfortable and familiar den, "Please pour yourselves a glass, it is an excellent vintage from Dagger Falls, Lathander's Red." A large decanter filled with a dark red wine and several glasses were set out for the party, while Isteval stood next to an overstuffed chair placed near the fire, where a person was sitting and speaking with him in hushed tones.

The gender of the person seated was indiscernable, because only the person’s head emerged from under a heavy blanket draped over the chair, and an embroidered hood and silver mask concealed the wearer’s face. Even the person’s dry, raspy voice provided no clue. “Help yourselves to wine, and seat yourselves, friends — I hope I may call you that.”

Sir Isteval adds, "This is Syndra Silvane, an associate of mine from Baldur's Gate, she requested the meeting with your team. I assume you have heard the gossip around town about the death curse? We want to assure you that it is not merely gossip, this curse is real and a true threat to the people of the realms. Many important and powerful people are suffering from this curse, which threatens to end their lives and throw the realms into chaos."

Syndra says, "I was an adventurer years ago. I died once and was raised from the dead. I have since closed the door on that stage of my life. Because of my mishap, I now suffer from this curse. I don’t know how much longer I’ll last before I perish. Clerics have no help to offer. They’re stymied by what is happening. My contacts in the Harpers have learned that the cause of the death curse is a necromantic artifact called the Soulmonger. According to their sources, the Soulmonger is somewhere in Chult.", followed by a pause to collect her thoughts and take a sip from her glass of wine.

"I propose to send your party to Chult, have you seek out the Soulmonger, destroy it and end this curse! Please discuss this among yourselves, but we must move quickly."

The characters quickly decide that they want to pursue this noble quest, but not without a few questions answered first. "Why would you select us, rather than a more seasoned group of adventurer's?" To which Syndra replied, "We have sent several groups already, but have lost contact with them. To be sure, we are desperate and considering all possibilities and you have displayed a knack for getting things time in your short careers."

"How will we get to Chult and can you offer us anything to help in our quest?"

"If you accept the mission, I am prepared to teleport you to Port Nyanzaru, the only major settlement in Chult. I’ve been there several times before, so there’s little chance of mishap. I can offer you 50 gold coins a piece to help with the cost of supplies in Nyanzaru, with a promise of your choice of a magical item from my collection for completing the mission. I have a rather large collection at my disposal, so I am sure there is something there that would suit each of you. Associates have been working from dozens of sea charts, log books, and explorers’ journals, I assembled everything known about the current state of Chult into one map. I’ll provide it to you if you undertake my mission."

The party agreed to the terms and would be ready to travel after getting their affairs in order. They will likely be in the land of Chult for several months, if not eternity, so no sense in leaving mounts and stores around in Daggerford. Syndra adds, "Once you have completed your preparations, return to me and we will be off.

Off to Port Nyanzaru

Bloggers note - I have decided that from this point forward I will be presenting the blog in present tense, as the characters experience it, instead of the past tense of prior entries.


The party returns to Sir Isteval's home after completing their preparations. They are led into the familiar den, where Syndra Silvane awaits their return. "Thank you for returning so quickly and understanding the urgency of your mission! Here are the funds and map I promised you.", as she hands them a small leather bag filled with gold coins and a map rolled in a leather case. "Now if you are ready to travel, please form a circle, holding the hand of the friends next to you." Syndra begins a deep incantation, speaking in some strange arcane language that quickly builds in pace and power. Suddenly, the room goes blurry and the characters feel as if they are floating in the space between the planes for just a moment, and with a swoosh they find themselves standing on solid ground in an unfamiliar place.

The party appears in a tropical city under the blazing sun. The familiar sounds of a harbor — creaking ropes, slapping waves, heavy barrels rolling across cobblestones — mingles with voices shouting and cursing in an unfamiliar language filled with clicks, inhalations, and sing-songy words that make it sound almost musical. The aroma of unfamiliar spices and tropical fruit mixes with the wharfside smells of fish, tar, and canvas.

Beyond all that, Port Nyanzaru is an explosion of color. Buildings are painted in bright shades of blue, green, orange, and salmon pink, or their walls are adorned with murals portraying giant reptiles and mythical heroes. Every building sports baskets and clay urns of colorful flowers or is draped in leafy, flowering vines. Minstrels in bright clothing adorned with feathers and shells perform on street corners. Multicolored pennants and sun awnings flutter atop the city walls. A crowd of children dressed in feathered hats and capes races past you, squealing in delighted terror as a street performer costumed as a big-toothed lizard stomps and roars behind them. The whole city seems to be bustling, sweating, laughing, swearing, and singing.

Syndra gives the party some time to recover from the experience before proceeding. "I recommend you secure rooms in the city, while you gather supplies and information. I recommend the Thundering Lizard or Kaya's House of Repose, both are located in the Market Ward near the Red Bazaar. The Thundering Lizard would provide a more raucous time, while Kaya's is more quiet and peaceful. You will need to hire a guide to help you navigate the treacherous jungles. Be safe and diligent. I will be awaiting your return at the villa of merchant prince Wakanga O’tamu." With that she heads off to the west.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 3 - Session 1B: Exploring Port Nyanzaru

Chapter 2 - Session 3: Sometimes it's Better to be Lucky

Chapter 1 - Session 2 : Searching the House